8.27.2012

I tried to do headstands for you...

Ok guys. Starting September 1st, I will be embarking on a 30 Day Yoga Challenge! That's yoga every day for 30 straight days! This is something I've been wanting to do for a while now so I've hooked up with my bestie, Amanda, over at Living for the Fun of It and we've decided to go for it! We've made the commitment together to make sure we keep at it and to encourage each other. And now I'm posting it here- making the commitment to all of you- to make doubly sure I don't wuss out!

Back in college, I was doing yoga on a regular basis. I was as fit and healthy as I'd ever been. I loved it! I loved the way it made me feel. The way it made me look physically. And the way it made me look at life. I have never been one with a lot of, shall we say, body confidence. Coordination? Not my strong suit. Through yoga's quiet, slow strength, I found the confidence to trust what my body could do. It is an amazing feeling to finally be able to move fully into a pose you've been working on for a while. I remember the absolute elation I felt when I finally felt the top of my head brush the floor in this pose:
 source (straddle forward bend, aka Prasarita Padottanasana)
I know it doesn't look like much-but you go ahead and try it! There's more to it than you'd think!

Another HUGE bonus to yoga workouts: less pain! I got in a car wreck several years ago and I've had back pain ever since. I also have flat feet... which leads to all sorts of joint problems from my ankles on up. But because of all the different ways you learn to move and stretch in yoga, you strengthen EVERY muscle you've got. And when you build up the muscles in the areas you're experiencing pain- you give your body some extra support. And voila! The pain all but disappears! At least in my experience. So that's what I'm shooting for!

I've also decided that if I'm to stick with it and really push myself, I'll have to have goals. So here we go:
  1. I find the area I'm lacking most is upper body strength. So I'll be working on my arms and my core to strengthen and tone. Abs? I know they're in there somewhere...
  2. Relax. One of the biggest parts of yoga is the exploration of the mind/body connection and the peace that can be found there. Its a GREAT stress reliever, and with this whole "I'm gonna start my own business" thing... Well, I figure that will be pretty helpful :)
  3. I have always wanted to do a head stand. Always. Remember that whole thing about trusting my body... never got quite that far. So my biggest goal is to, by the end of the month, be able to do this:
source (headstand, aka Sirsasana)
Maybe, ya know, not in the soggy sand... but none the less. I don't care if in the end I'm still needing the wall for balance, I WILL kick my feet up and rock this pose!

SooooooooOOOOO YEAH! In approximately 2 days, the next phase of my adventure begins! I'll be done with my old job and ready to start my new life! Stay tuned! And remember:


Namaste Y'all
Lindsey :)

4 comments:

Kylie C said...

I believe in you! I might try to join you....lord knows a need to relax....and be able to touch my toes :P

lindsey said...

That woul be great!!! I would love for you to join us- the more the merrier! And it's such a fun and empowering way to get fit!!! :D

Judy said...

Ok.....I'm in. 30 days!! I usually do 3 days a week, but I am excited about having a "support group" to encourage me.
Hoping we get stronger, calmer and healthier.
Namiste!

lindsey said...

YAY!!! Oh man, I'm so excited now! We are so gonna rock this!!! :D