4.08.2013

Deployment Bucket List: Decorating the Master Bathroom

So we've lived in our house now about a year and a half... And I have yet to finish decorating all the rooms. So I've decided that while I've got so much extra free time over the next few months, that one of my goals will be to get it all done up and pretty before Charles gets home. So far so good. Week 1 I attacked the master bath!

BEFORE:
Ew. I call this 'Builder Beige' since the whole house was done in this color when it was built. Walls AND ceiling. And it was flat paint. Who the heck uses flat paint in a bathroom?!? The walls practically drank up the water. Also, I really hate beige.

STEP 1: Differentiate between walls and ceiling
Even just painting the ceiling white made a huge difference in the way the room felt. It felt much taller and less I'm-trapped-in-a-cardboard-box-esque.

STEP 2: The Color Reveal!!!
I feel like I'm on 'Trading Spaces'. Anyone remember that show? Frank was my fav.
(Also, just a suggestion: Use AT LEAST a semigloss paint in kitchens and bathrooms. I've used a gloss here. Gloss paint is so much easier to clean up when things splatter on the walls, it repels water and stains, and it reflects LOTS of light which is super useful in such high traffic rooms!)

Aaaaaand here it goes on the wall!

STEP 3: Paint ENIRE ROOM!!!
Gorgeous, yes!? It only took two coats! AND I got in all of the movie "Easy A" while I waited for the paint to dry :D


STEP 4: DECORATE!!!
VOILA! Finished product!

I wanted to get a very calming, spa kind of feeling. So I went with this very light and clean springy green and a light steely gray to compliment all of the fixtures in the room. Really loved how it turned out! I also took down the hand towel ring that was on the wall to the left of the vanity and replaced it with a couple of green glass shelves for extra storage. It seemed kind of stupid to have one towel ring for two sinks anyway, so instead I installed a couple command hooks at counter height on either side of the vanity so we can actually both have a towel now!

I smile every time I walk in here now and I'm so glad to finally have gotten rid of that nasty beige color! (Now to eradicate it from my bedroom...) Its so amazing what a difference a little paint can make :)

 Can't wait for my hubby to come home and see how handy I was!

 :D
-Lindsey

2 comments:

Dawn said...

The bathroom is so pretty! Love the color and it is very spa-ish (made up word) I LOVED Trading Spaces!!!!! Always wanted to be on it :)

lindsey said...

ME TOOOOOOO!!!
Thanks! :)
-Lindsey