4.30.2013

30 Day Challenge Reboot

So if you actually read this on a regular basis, you may remember last September my friend Amanda and I decided to start a 30 day challenge together. Since we're separated by half a country, it was to be a way to keep in touch and to form a buddy system so we could both achieve goals that would lend to overall healthier living. But what started out as just the two of us kind of... grew. We created a facebook group and by the time the beginning of the month rolled around we had about 10 or so participants from among our friends and family!

Unfortunately last time around, two days before the end of the month some friends and I were involved in a car accident and I was unable to finish the challenge. I was super bummed about that for quite a while. And then due to one thing or another and other injuries, I haven't really been able to maintain a regular workout schedule since. At this point though I've recovered fairly well and am anxious to get going again!

For September, Amanda and I attempted 30 days of yoga. It was an amazing, strengthening and eye opening experience. I learned a lot about my limits, how to push them, AND how to do a headstand! This time my overall goal was just to be healthier and in better physical shape. I don't give a crap about the number on the scale. I'm not setting out to loose weight. It may happen, it may not. What I REALLY want is to get rid of this belly! Lol ;) Basically, the goal is to burn fat. And what's one of the fastest ways to burn fat??? RUNNING! I used to do cross country in high school but haven't really run seriously since. It would be a lie if I told you I liked running. I like what you get FROM running. And after you get over that initial OMG I'M GONNA DIE phase its not too bad overall. I plan on mixing it up with cross training so it won't be all running all the time. But so as to have something to actually shoot for...
I'M GONNA DO THIS!!!

Going "Couch to 5K" in one month might seem a bit drastic. And maybe it is but... I think I can do it! Correction: I'm going to do it! I've found a training schedule that happened to fit exactly what I wanted here. Basically it consists of running 3 days a week, cross training 2 days, and resting 2 days. You build up gradually instead of just jumping right in. I plan to combine this routine with biking and yoga for my cross training days. I might not finish the race with any great deal of speed... But by the end of May I will be in the shape to finish it!

My deployment countdown calendar will be doing double duty this month with the addition of the challenge. I've placed a sticky over each date with the day's activity written on it. So, in order to mark off the day for my countdown I will have to perform the listed task to remove the sticky! I've also got the training schedule posted below the month so I can cross off the workouts as I accomplish them. Now, the world isn't going to end if I don't follow this system... but its a visible method of self accountability. I'm a very visual person; I need calendars and countdowns and lists... Otherwise I go insane.
 
AND, I'm also going to ATTEMPT to turn this crazy beast into my running buddy.
This may be the most challenging part of the whole thing.
She's definitely a runner. She just tends to think I'm too slow and that it would just work better in general if she just pulled me along. Lol. Gotta love sled dogs...

Anyway, that's all I've got for now. I shall leave you with this thought:
 (and only 21 days to create a habit!)

Tomorrow is Day 1.
LET THE CHALLENGE BEGIN!

-Lindsey





No comments: